Forests are key to global sustainability
WBCSD's new Infographic on Forests highlights the importance of ALL forests - the Forest Continuum - and sustainable forest management in meeting the increasing demand for wood, fiber, fuel and food. With the Forest Continuum Infographic the WBCSD Forest Solutions Group pulls together the key messages relating to the crucial role of forests and sustainable forest management in achieving global sustainability goals. The Forest Continuum includes different types of forests - from natural forests to plantations - and all are critical in meeting different needs. Sustainable Forest Management provides multiple benefits, ranging from social to economic and ecological, for both people and the planet.
World Hardwood is a timber business that harvests, processes and pressure treats wooden poles for the domestic and international markets. World Hardwood recognises the impact of its operations on the environment and this impact is kept to a minimum. In order to achieve this we subscribe to the following principles:
- Compliance with Applicable Law
- World Hardwood only establishes plantations on land that has been granted a permit or that qualifies for afforestation and their operations are conducted according to the laws of the land.
- Social Responsibility
- Staff are encouraged to conduct their operations in such a manner as to create wealth for the communities in which they live. This is achieved by using, wherever feasible, local labour and local processors. Education and upliftment of labour results in a contented, productive work force.
- Communication and Education
- World Hardwood promotes awareness of environmental issues and of new technologies to ensure that operations are conducted on a sustainable basis.
- Research and Development
- World Hardwood supports research and development within the foresty industry to optimise the use of resources on a sustainable basis and to gain a better understanding of the impact of plantation forestry on the natural environment.
- Work and Living Environments
- The highest standards of occupational health and safety are practised. All staff members are encouraged to adopt this policy.
- Annual Review of Policy
- World Hardwood is an FSC approved company and are audited on an annual basis to ensure that these standards are being maintained.